Last Updated; August 5th, 2022.
If our information practices change, we will post an updated version of the Policy on our Site. You can tell if the Policy has changed by checking the “Last Updated” date that appears below and that will be the date on which the new Policy becomes effective. You may exercise your choices about how we collect and use your information consistent with this Policy at any time. If you have any questions about our Policy, please contact us as described in the section below entitled, "Contact Us".
A Note about Children
We do not intentionally gather Personal Information from visitors who are under the age of 16. If a child under 16 submits Personal Information to Brooklinen and we learn that the Personal Information is the information of a child under 16, we will attempt to delete the information as soon as possible. If you believe that we might have any Personal Information from a child under 16, please contact us by giving us a call at (646) 798-7447 or email us at email@example.com with the subject line “Privacy”.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The Personal Information that we collect depends on your interactions with us and the Site, the choices you make, and the products and features you use.
When you visit, use or navigate the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, location, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
Cookies and Similar Technologies
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. The effect of disabling cookies depends on which cookies you disable. As set out above, if you disable all cookies, you will be unable to complete a purchase on our Site. If you want to disable cookies on our site, you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. Please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ and http://www.youronlinechoices.eu, and see the links set out above to determine how you can change your browser settings according to the browser you use.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Cookies, pixel tags and/or other similar technologies are used to collect and store certain information. These typically involve pieces of information or code that a website transfers to or accesses from your computer hard drive or mobile device to store and sometimes track information about you. Cookies, pixel tags and similar technologies enable you to be remembered when using that computer or device in order to interact with websites and online services, and can also be used to manage a range of features and content as well as storing searches and presenting personalized content, Cookies, pixel tags and similar technologies to distinguish you from other users of our Site. This helps us to provide you with an enhanced personalized experience when you browse our Site and also allows us to improve our Site and track its performance.
When you first visit our Site, you will be notified that we use first and third-party cookies to help the Site function efficiently, to give you a smooth customer experience and to deliver our ads and promotional materials. Browsers may automatically accept cookies and similar technologies, but if you prefer, you can change your browser settings to prevent that.
A number of cookies and similar technologies we use last only for the duration of your web session and expire when you close your browser. Others are used to remember you when you return to the Site and will last for longer. Some cookies will also record where you came to our Site from and where you visit once you have left our Site.
Order Placement and Other Ways You May Provide Personal Information
Additionally, when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers), email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information”.
Furthermore, we collect Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us when you register on the Site, express an interest in obtaining information about us or our products, when you participate in activities on the Site or otherwise when you contact us.
If you interact with us on a social media platform using your social media account (e.g., Facebook or Twitter), we receive Personal Information about you such as your name, email address, and gender. Any Personal Information that we collect from your social media account depends on your social media account's privacy settings.
We also may combine Personal Information you provide to us with Personal Information from other sources, such as data providers, such as information services and data licensors that provide contact, profile, demographic and other information, such as information about your household, interests, educational background and your and your household’s purchasing history. Some of these providers may combine data collected about visitors to our Site through cookies, pixel tags and similar technologies, with email or mailing addresses they have access to help us serve relevant marketing offers to you via email and direct mail.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfill any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use your Personal Information to:
- To process and fulfill your order, including sending you emails and text messages to confirm your order status and shipment;
- To communicate with you and to send you information by email, postal mail, telephone, text message, or other means about our products, services, contests, and promotions, unless you direct us not to contact you with promotional communications;
- To respond to your inquiries and solve potential issues you might have with our products;
- To request feedback about our products or services;
- To administer and fulfill our contests and other promotions;
- To help us learn more about your shopping preferences;
- To send administrative information to you such as to update you on changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- To help us address problems with and improve our site design, products and services;
- To enhance your shopping experience through our Site;
- To analyze trends, usage, activities and statistics;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service;
- To protect the security or integrity of our Site and our business; and/or
- To enforce our terms and conditions and policies for business purposes, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements;
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm; and
- To contact you if necessary.
We may also combine your Personal Information with personal information from other sources, such as:
- Data providers, such as information services and data licensors that provide contact, profile, demographic and other information, such as information about your household, interests, educational background and your and your household’s purchasing history. Some of these providers may combine data collected about visitors to our Site through cookies, pixel tags and similar technologies, and with email or mailing addresses they have access to, in order to help us serve relevant marketing offers to you via email and direct mail.
- Public sources, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms. Personal information we collect may include photos, posts, likes and your engagement with our content. For instance, we may repost on Instagram a post you make on Instagram in relation to Brooklinen and/or our products in our own Instagram feed. Of course, we'll always ask your permission before we use your posts and photos on these platforms.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us run our business. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store--you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site--you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy. You can also opt out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We also may share your Personal Information in the following ways:
- Business Services – We may share your information with third parties, including our agents, service providers, and consultants as needed, for them to provide business-related services to us. Such third parties may manage our customer information and perform services on our behalf, such as website hosting, payment processing, order fulfillment, fraud monitoring, identity verification, processing credit card payments, email or mail delivery and administration, promotion fulfillment, surveys or data analysis, etc.
- Promotions and Contests – We may share your information or combine your information with publicly available information when we team up with other promotional partners to jointly offer or provide products, services, contests, or promotions to our customers, or otherwise to enhance and personalize your shopping experience
- Site Optimization – We also use the Device Information more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
- Aggregation – We and our vendors may aggregate the Personal Information collected from you to better understand our customer and potential customer base. Aggregated personal information does not personally identify you or any other customer or potential customer.
- Advertisements – We may work with third-party companies that use their tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our Website in order to provide tailored advertisements on our behalf and on behalf of other advertisers across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our site and your interaction with our advertising and other communications, may use this information to determine which ads you see on third-party websites and applications, and may also be used to track your activity across multiple devices. For more information about this practice and to understand your options including how to opt out of receiving these tailored advertisements, please visit https://www.aboutads.info. Note that even if you opt-out, these tracking technologies may still collect data and you will still see ads, but they will not be targeted based upon the information collected through these tracking technologies.
- Visitor Information – We use third parties to improve our ability to identify visitors to the Website. As part of this service, we may make available identifiers to these third parties including our visitors’ IP addresses, cookies, hashed versions of email addresses, and/or certain HTTP header fields captured for your visit. We, and third parties, use this information to obtain more information about our visitors and reach out to them through other channels, such as email and/or direct mail. To learn more or opt out from these companies you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices and https://www.aboutads.info. We also provide you with additional tools to opt out of marketing from us or certain transfers of your information.
- Direct Marketing by Third-Party Vendors – Third-party vendors, including third-party marketing partners (who may combine your Personal Information with their own records and records available from other sources), may use your Personal Information for their own direct marketing purposes and the direct marketing purposes of other third-party marketers. Certain of these vendors may resell personal information about you.
- Interested Mailings – Occasionally, we may share, exchange and/or cross-reference our postal mailing list with selected providers of goods and services that may be of interest to you.
- Affiliates. We may share your information with our affiliates, in which case we will require those affiliates to honor this privacy notice. Affiliates include our parent company and any subsidiaries, joint venture partners or other companies that we control or that are under common control with us.
- Legal Obligations – We may share your information to comply with laws or regulations or in response to a valid subpoena, order, or government request, or to protect your rights, the rights of Brooklinen, and others.
- Sale or Merger - We may share our customers' personal information and other information we have collected as described in this Policy may be among the transferred business assets in the event of a sale or merger of our company.
With your consent (opt-in), we may send you text messages about our store, new products, and other updates. Updates may include Checkout Reminders.
We respect your privacy. We will only use information you provide via opt-in to transmit your mobile messages and respond to you, if necessary. This includes, but is not limited to, sharing information with platform providers, phone companies, and other vendors who assist us in the delivery of mobile messages.
Text marketing (if applicable): With your permission, we may send text messages to provide order updates. You can opt-out of receiving such messages at any time by responding to a text message with the word “STOP”.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by heading to these links:
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google - https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- Bing - https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
How do you get my consent?
When you provide us with Personal Information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery, or return a purchase, your consent is implied as granted to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask for your Personal Information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.
How do I withdraw my consent?
You can unsubscribe from our marketing email list at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send, by visiting our unsubscribe page or by contacting us using the details provided below. You will then be removed from the marketing email list – however, we may still communicate with you, for example to send you service-related emails that are necessary for the administration and use of your account, to respond to service requests, or for other non-marketing purposes.
You can also unsubscribe from receiving text messages from us at any time by texting “STOP” or “UNSUBSCRIBE” in response to any text message you receive from us. You can also contact us using the details provided below to stop future text messages from us.
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at any time, by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailing us at: Brooklinen 10 Jay St Suite 700 Brooklyn New York United States 11201.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will only keep your Personal Information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting or other legal requirements).
HOW WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any Personal Information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third parties will not be able to defeat our security, and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information. Although we will do our best to protect your Personal Information, transmission of Personal Information to and from our Site is at your own risk. You should only access the Site within a secure environment.
DO NOT TRACK
Some customers use a “Do Not Track” signal while browsing. Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
When you place an order through the Site, we may maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information. If you would like to make a request to delete this information, or if you have questions about our data retention policy, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at (646) 798-7447.
Please click here to read our latest notice.
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: YOUR RIGHTS
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) provides consumers in California certain privacy rights regarding the categories of personal information we collect from you, the methods and business purposes of collecting such personal information, the categories of third parties with whom we may share it, and the rights you have regarding the personal information. The term “personal information” in this section has the same meaning as defined under the CCPA.
California residents have the following rights:
- Right to Know. California residents may request that Brooklinen disclose what categories of personal information it collects, uses, discloses or sells; the categories of sources from which we collect personal information; the purposes for which we collected the personal information; the purpose for which we collected and shared personal information; the categories of third parties to whom the personal information is shared; and the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed or close for a business purpose in the last 12 months preceding your request.
- Right to Access. California residents may request a copy of the personal information that we have collected about you in the 12 months preceding your request.
- Right to Opt-Out. California residents have the right to opt-out of the sale of their personal information to third parties. Please see our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” policy by clicking here or go to this URL: https://www.brooklinen.com/pages/do-not-sell-request.
- Right to Deletion. California residents also have the right to request the deletion of their personal information collected or maintained by Brooklinen.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
If you wish to make a request for information or to delete your account, or for any questions about our privacy practices and compliance with California law, please contact us by mail or email as set forth under “CONTACT US” below. We will respond to requests to disclose or to delete within 45 days. For any other inquiries, please reach us at the toll-free number below:
Like many companies online, we work with third party advertising and social media companies like Google and Facebook that collect device data and online activity data from individuals who visit our website to deliver interest-based ads to them on other sites and online services. We describe these activities in more detail in the section above entitled Cookies and Similar Technologies. We may also disclose Personal Information to third parties who combine that information with other information to help us provide advertising to you in which you may be interested. Our use of these services may constitute a “sale” of your Personal Information as defined under the CCPA from which you have the right to opt-out. You may opt-out of interest-based advertising-related “sales” of your Personal Information by clicking https://www.brooklinen.com/pages/do-not-sell-request.
You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. Prior to responding to your request, we will verify your identity by matching any requested identifying information you provide against the information we have about you. Brooklinen will not subject you to discriminatory treatment as a result of your choice to exercise your privacy rights. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may deny a request as permitted by law.
We retain personal information for as long as you have an account with us in order to meet our contractual obligations to you and for such longer period of time if required by applicable law or in accordance with our internal document retention policies (which shall not violate applicable law). We may also retain your information to identify issues and resolve legal proceedings.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- If you wish to access, update, and/or correct inaccuracies in your personal information or change your consent preferences (we will need to verify your identity before responding to your request, which may require us to collect additional personal information);
- For information about how our foreign-based service providers process your personal information; or
- If you have any questions or complaints about the manner in which we treat your personal information.
EUROPEAN RESIDENTS: YOUR RIGHTS
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident, we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfill contracts we might have with you (for example, if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by mail or phone using the details provided below:
Brooklinen, 10 Jay St, Suite 700, Brooklyn, NY, 11201, United States
For more information about the categories of personal information we collect, use, and disclose and how we use personal information, please refer to the other sections of this Policy.